About Outward Bound Hong Kong
Outward Bound Hong Kong has been serving the people of Hong Kong since 1970, providing high-quality personal development experiences in the outdoors for thousands of participants from a range of backgrounds. Working from three bases in the New Territories participants undertake journeys in kayaks or ketches in the coastal waters and hiking the mountains of the Hong Kong Country Parks. We own and maintain a 67 ft yacht, The Spirit of Outward Bound which provides a platform for longer courses.
Deputy Head of Operations
The Role: Deputy Head of Operations
The Deputy Head of Operations (DHO) is an integral part of the Outward Bound Hong Kong (OBHK) management team and will assist with overall day-to-day programme management as well as school operations. The DHO works to provide daily leadership, administrative support and management of operations, basecamp safety and overall safety oversight and management.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities: Programme Leadership & Safety and Risk Management.
Required Skills & Experience
• Excellent leadership, organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Outward Bound or other wilderness expeditionary experience (OB, NOLS multi-day courses or equivalent) is required.
• Strong personal motivation, initiative, follow through and commitment.
• Knowledge of Outward Bound programmes and skill requirements. Experience analyzing incident data and writing reports based on data provided.
• Ability to work both independently and cooperatively as a team member and to give and receive both positive and constructive feedback.
• Able to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Very effective communicator, both written and oral.
• Current WFR and CPR certification. Bronze Medallion Lifesaving Certificate. PVOL II license will need to be obtained within 2 months of employment.
• Proficient with PC in Adobe®, Word®, Excel®, and Microsoft Office 365.
• Expertise in at least 2 of the OBHK course activities: backpacking, ropes course, rock climbing, canoeing, sea kayaking, or sailing.
• Familiarity with the Course Director role.
• Previous management experience.
• Bachelor degree and/or 4-6 years’ experience in the outdoor education/experiential learning field or any similar combination of education and experience.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and three references in PDF format to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please describe the specific skills you possess that we require.
The position description can be downloaded here: http://www.outwardbound.org.hk/pdfs/OBHK-Deputy-Head-of-Operations_2019.pdf
Applications should be sent on or before 1 April 2019.
Seasonal & Long Term Instructors
Hong Kong’s leading provider of life-changing experiential education programmes is seeking Instructors.
• To be able to run Outward Bound courses effectively and with intentional focus to provide the very best educational outcomes for Outward Bound Hong Kong’s clients.
• To be an independent and self-sufficient instructor running a wide variety of programmes in a residential setting but predominantly concentrating on journey-based courses using sailing, sea kayaking and hiking as the mode of transport.
• To maintain high standards of safety at all times and maintain good working relationships and practices throughout the different departments that they work with.
• Minimum 21 years old
• Bronze Medallion Life Saving or equivalent
• Wilderness First Aid Certificate (WFA) or equivalent (including AED certification)
• Technical skill experience in sea kayaking, rock climbing, low ropes and hiking.
• A history of working with youth in an educational setting and/or professional corporate clients.
• APIOL or higher
• Completion of an outdoor training programme (e.g. Degree, Diploma)
• 2 NGB assessed awards
• Sailing experience
• Conversational Cantonese
• Outward Bound experience (other experiential education providers will also be considered.)
• A belief in developing human potential
• Open and honest communication skills
• A willingness to be flexible in regards to situations, working hours and conditions
• An eye for detail and safety
• A willingness to train and develop fellow staff
Find more information in the section or Recognition of Prior Learning Entry in http://www.outwardbound.org.hk/careers/becoming-an-obhk-instructor. Interested parties please send applications to email@example.com.