About Outward Bound Hong Kong
Outward Bound Hong Kong has been serving the people of Hong Kong since 1970, providing high-quality personal development experiences in the outdoors for thousands of participants from a range of backgrounds. Working from three bases in the New Territories participants undertake journeys in kayaks or ketches in the coastal waters and hiking the mountains of the Hong Kong Country Parks. We own and maintain a 67 ft yacht, The Spirit of Outward Bound which provides a platform for longer courses.
Seasonal & Deputy Head of Staffing & Development
The Deputy Head of Staffing & Development (DHSD) is an integral part of the Outward Bound Hong Kong (OBHK) management team and is responsible for training, developing and mentoring all operational staff throughout their career at OBHK. The DHSD is also responsible for the design and delivery of all trainings and assessments. The DHSD will be involved in the recruitment of staff members and delivery of an initial 3-month Training School for new recruits and ongoing monitoring and development.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
• Develop comprehensive training programme with clear and documented progressions from Training School to Grade 1 and Course Director. • Identify training needs by mapping out development plans for new hires and operational staff.
• In collaboration with Course Directors (CDs) and Deputy Head of Operations (DHO), design the annual training schedule and progression according to organisations needs and operational capacity. • Design, develop and conduct training programmes to ensure trainees obtain adequate skills and knowledge. • Oversee and manage all training programmes including liaising with both internal and external parties.
• Establish, monitor, control and evaluate budget for training department and to identify annual goals including specific and measurable objectives.
• Evaluate all trainings for effectiveness and relevance.
• Ensure that all policies and procedures are known and followed by staff.
• Other duties and special projects as assigned.
• Work with CDs, DHO, HSD to track staff development and maintain clear structures for mentorship and professional growth.
• Coordinate and ensure follow-through of the individual feedback system and implementation of change.
• In coordination with the HSD, provide oversight and support to the team of CDs so that they can supervise, mentor and develop the operational team.
• Work closely with the Head of Staffing and Development (HSD) to ensure that all staff files are up to date, and promotion criteria are met.
• Establish and maintain workable and appropriate learning culture in operational team.
• Create and role model professionalism at all times. Uphold and follow all policies. Hold staff accountable for the same.
• Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience
• Able to build positive relationships internally and externally.
• People-oriented and very good at identifying developmental and professional needs of staff.
• Excellent leadership, organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Proven experience in designing, coordinating multiple training events and ability to master the full training cycle.
• Strong personal motivation, initiative, follow through and commitment.
• Ability to work both independently and cooperatively as a team member and to give and receive both positive and constructive feedback.
• Very effective communicator, both written and oral.
• Expertise in at least 2 of the following OBHK course activities: backpacking, ropes course, rock climbing, or sea kayaking.
• Current WFR and CPR certification. Bronze Medallion Lifesaving Certificate.
• Proficient with PC in Word®, Excel®, and Microsoft Office 365.
• Previous management experience.
• Knowledge of Outward Bound programmes and skill requirements.
• Familiarity with the Course Director and Training roles.
• Bachelor degree and/or 4-6 years’ experience in the outdoor education/experiential learning field or any similar combination of education and experience.
• Sitting at a desk or computer 40% of time or greater.
• Overnight training in the field occasionally.
Compensation and Benefits
• Full time, 2-3 year position.
• Housing is provided. Meal will be provided when working.
• Medical insurance coverage
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and three references in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please describe the specific skills you possess that we require.
Applications should be sent on or before 1 Dec 2019.
Seasonal & Long Term Instructors
Hong Kong’s leading provider of life-changing experiential education programmes is seeking Instructors.
• To be able to run Outward Bound courses effectively and with intentional focus to provide the very best educational outcomes for Outward Bound Hong Kong’s clients.
• To be an independent and self-sufficient instructor running a wide variety of programmes in a residential setting but predominantly concentrating on journey-based courses using sailing, sea kayaking and hiking as the mode of transport.
• To maintain high standards of safety at all times and maintain good working relationships and practices throughout the different departments that they work with.
• Minimum 21 years old
• Bronze Medallion Life Saving or equivalent
• Wilderness First Aid Certificate (WFA) or equivalent (including AED certification)
• Technical skill experience in sea kayaking, rock climbing, low ropes and hiking.
• A history of working with youth in an educational setting and/or professional corporate clients.
• APIOL or higher
• Completion of an outdoor training programme (e.g. Degree, Diploma)
• 2 NGB assessed awards
• Sailing experience
• Conversational Cantonese
• Outward Bound experience (other experiential education providers will also be considered.)
• A belief in developing human potential
• Open and honest communication skills
• A willingness to be flexible in regards to situations, working hours and conditions
• An eye for detail and safety
• A willingness to train and develop fellow staff
Find more information in the section or Recognition of Prior Learning Entry in http://www.outwardbound.org.hk/careers/becoming-an-obhk-instructor. Interested parties please send applications to email@example.com.