About Outward Bound Hong Kong
Outward Bound Hong Kong has been serving the people of Hong Kong since 1970, providing high-quality personal development experiences in the outdoors for thousands of participants from a range of backgrounds. Working from three bases in the New Territories participants undertake journeys in kayaks or ketches in the coastal waters and hiking the mountains of the Hong Kong Country Parks. We own and maintain a 67 ft yacht, The Spirit of Outward Bound which provides a platform for longer courses.
Head of Sailing
The Role: Head of Sailing
As an organisation based directly on the coastal waters of Hong Kong, sailing is an integral part of our course offerings. We are seeking a dynamic and experienced person to join our team to oversee all aspects of our sailing operations and ensure it is representative of our position as a leading provider of outdoor education courses in the region.
The successful candidate will be passionate about the opportunity that sailing offers young people to discover their potential and to access challenging and inspiring environments. He or she will inspire not only participants but also colleagues to share the benefits of sailing on our fleet of 4 ketches and our flagship yacht. More specifically, the role will involve;
– Building vision and strategy for the advancement and future success of all Outward Bound Hong Kong sailing programs and courses.
– Development of programs that maximise the use of the fleet and extend the benefits to as many participants as possible each year
– Planning and delivering appropriate staff training for specialist crew as well as instructors to ensure professional development that permits full use of our resources
– Management of the vessels to ensure regulatory and code compliance and appropriate maintenance
The most important qualification for the role is an enthusiasm for developing an industry-leading sailing program. This will require extensive experience of managing educational sailing programs and training colleagues.
Qualifications that support this experience are essential. The exact list of qualifications will be dependent upon the candidate’s specific background, but will support their ability to successfully manage an offshore sailing vessel and educational sailing program.
We are keen to ensure that the successful candidate has all the necessary information before applying for and accepting the role. Please get in touch if you require any further information about any aspect of the role, your suitability or life in Hong Kong or visit our website: http://www.outwardbound.org.hk/pdfs/HoS-Info-Feb-18.pdf
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday 2nd April 2018.
If you have specific questions please get in touch with the Executive Director, Nick Cotton
Long Term Instructors
Seasonal (Sept to Dec 2018) & Long Term Instructors
– To be able to run Outward Bound courses effectively and with intentional focus to provide the very best educational outcomes for Outward Bound Hong Kong’s clients.
– To be an independent and self-sufficient instructor running a wide variety of programmes in a residential setting but predominantly concentrating on journey based courses using sailing, sea kayaking and hiking as the mode of transport.
– To maintain high standards of safety at all times and maintain good working relationships and practices throughout the different departments that they work with.
– Minimum 21 years old
– Bronze Medallion Life Saving or equivalent
– Wilderness First Responder Certificate or equivalent (including AED certification)
– Hard skill experiences in sea kayaking, rock climbing, low ropes and hiking.
– A history of working with youth in an educational setting.
– APIOL or higher
– Completion of an outdoor training programme (e.g. Degree, Diploma)
– 2 NGB assessed awards
– Sailing experience
– Conversational Cantonese
– Outward Bound experience (other experiential education providers will also be considered)
– A belief in developing human potential
– Open and honest communication skills
– A willingness to be flexible in regards to situations, working hours and conditions
– An eye for detail and safety
– A willingness to train and develop fellow staff
Interested parties please send applications to email@example.com